Tramp Art, like quilting, relies on using salvaged materials to create textures and patterns then piecing them together to make beautiful yet utilitarian
objects. While relatively unknown, Tramp Art was a wide-spread form of Folk Art that flourished in America between the 1870's – 1940's.

Etsy

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Gathering...

It seems that we, like the squirrels, start to
 gather around us the things we find necessary in the fall
 so we can be sustained during the winter. Of course,
 for us it isn't quite as simple as gathering nuts...




This gathering process was helped along
when I received a small box of treasures earlier this week
from my dear friend and extraordinarily talented
artist Charlene Geiger. Vintage ribbons, florals, celluloid
reindeer, antique metal trims...it was like being
a child under the Christmas tree on Christmas morning.

Here are some of my treasures and those I received
that you will be seeing in some of my Tramp Art pieces
in the coming months...









~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's September!

This month is the time to vote for your favorite artists on the 
Martha Stewart AMERICAN MADE website.
There are many fine artists and categories to choose from 
and I would appreciate your taking the time to leave 
a comment on my profile and vote for me in the category:
Crafts~Recycled, Upcycled & Vintage Crafts.

VOTING begins September 21st 
but you can read the profiles and leave comments at any time.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's SHOW TIME!

As you may know, I am getting ready to participate 
in my very first show. I will be attending the 
American Artisan Show in Wilton, CT. on November 6-8, 2015.



I am very excited about this opportunity. 
While I have created a website, an Etsy Shop and this 
Blog it is apparent that the only way for me to
continue to create my pieces and be successful is to
get myself and my work out in front of the people most
interested in folk art. The shows will afford me
the opportunity to reach a much large audience and really
introduce my work to the world.

As a very new artists it can be a bit daunting
as the costs of the shows and expenses involved can be
enormous when you consider ones resources.
In an effort to be able to keep moving forward and having 
the ability to keep creating and moving forward
I wrote a profile and started a fund raising campaign

I have had several friends and fellow artists
share this information on their Facebook pages, blogs 
and in personal emails they have sent out and I am 
so grateful for their contributions, support and encouragement.
Their contributions have been a great help as I 
continue to transform this dream into reality. If you are able 
to contribute any amount I would be forever 
grateful and most appreciative.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is a peek at some pieces I am working on
for the American Artisan Show...


My new Brochure and a wooden business card 
with an edge reminiscent of the chip carving done in Tramp Art. 
The card is printed on Cherry wood.





A Four Drawer Chest

good to use for storing balls of needlework thread, jewelry or 
whatever one might want to tuck away in a safe place





The Tall Clock

A Tramp Art version of a pocket-watch case 
although I found a great vintage alarm clock that I will be 
making into a large Tall Clock.












Heart In Hand Thread Holders & Pin-Cushions



Soon to be a Bank!



The start of a Moravian Star.



A few 1800's German style Automobiles.






The SnowAngel Box.

I ran out of wood but hopefully this piece 
will be finished in time for the show.

The 1800's trade card with an embossed 
Victorian Scrap Angel will be placed inside the box. 
I plan to stain and then white wash the exterior 
of the box. The interior will most likely be painted a deep 
BrownBlack with a possible metallic gold wash 
and the bottom of the box will be lined with an aged 
soft white velvet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for taking a moment to read my blog.
I hope you enjoyed it and I wish you
All the Best!



3 comments:

  1. Stunning work David! Loved reading your blog...wishing you much success in upcoming show! Blessings in all you do....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful work David. As a veteran of shows for over 25 years I wish you much success at Wilton. I have not done that show in over 16 years, but I remember it well.

    ReplyDelete