Tramp Art, like quilting, relies on using salvaged materials to create textures and patterns then piecing them together to make beautiful yet utilitarian
objects. While relatively unknown, Tramp Art was a wide-spread form of Folk Art that flourished in America between the 1870's – 1940's.

Etsy

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

The International Folk Art Museum & The Art Tramp...No Idle Hands: The Myths and Meanings of Tramp Art

I hope that all of you who are interested in Tramp Art
will have the opportunity to visit the
International Folk Art Museum to see their exhibit, 
"No Idle Hands: The Myths and Meanings of Tramp Art"
Opening on March 12, 2017.



As you can see, they have designed an
exceptionally beautiful catalog for the exhibit.

~~~~~~~~~~~

As a new and relatively "unknown" artist
I am extremely honored to have one of my pieces
on loan to the museum for this exhibit.
It is the first major exhibit on Tramp Art since 1975
and includes works from present day artists
as well as numerous examples of the antique pieces.

Laura Addison is the curator for this exhibit
and she has been a joy to work with
and share my thoughts and vision about what 
attracted me to Tramp Art as well as
what inspires my work and love of this art form.


This is the piece I created that is included in the exhibit.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted to share these installation photos. 
They were taken by a museum staff member and posted
on their Facebook page.









There is also a wonderful interview with Laura
that can be accessed through the museum's Facebook page
and much more information on the extraordinary exhibit.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the link to a magazine article
that was recently published prior to the opening
that I thought you might enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATONS, this is wonderful! Enjoy the moment and use this emotional high to create more wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I'm afraid Sante Fe is a bit out of my way, but I would surely love to see this exhibition. Your piece is wonderful. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog was absolutely fantastic!
    Great deal of great information & this can be useful some or maybe the other way.
    Keep updating your blog,anticipating to get more detailed contents.
    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete